Midland Ancestors is the concise name for the Birmingham and Midlands Society for Genealogy and Heraldry, also known as the BMSGH.
The BMSGH is registered under the UK Data Protection Act (1998), registration number Z7183215.
The UK Data Protection Act will be replaced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on 25th May 2018.
This online shop is registered as processing your personal data using lawful contract, this means that when you place an order, we need to use your personal data in order to fulfil our contractual obligations to you.
Information regarding your login details, name, address, telephone number, email address, IP address and order details will be stored on a secure server. This information will only be used by the BMSGH and authorised partners(see below). We need to collect and process personal information as follows:
- email address - This is your login id and is also used to communicate progress on your order
- Name and Address - This is used to take payment using one of our payment partners and also to post out goods if physical goods are ordered
- Telephone number - This will be used to communicate with you should we have a query with your order, if you do not want us to contact you by telephone, just enter 00000000000
- IP address - We are required by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) VAT MOSS regulations to record your IP address, for EU Countries, we use your order details to submit a VAT MOSS return to HMRC quarterly by country, we only have to provide personal customer details on request from HMRC.
We do not share any personal data with any other organisations except as described in the Payments and the Other Partners sections listed below.
If you order a new membership or renew an existing membership, your personal details will be copied from the shop order to the members database. Your address will be used to post out the quarterly magazine, unless you opt for delivery by email/download. Personal details on the membership database can be updated at any time and you have the right to remove personal data by contacting the subscriptions secretary. You may be contacted occasionally by post, email or telephone regarding your membership, especially during the membership renewal process, unless you ask us to remove one or more of these communication options.
We sell items in our shop for preferred partners, we have a Data Processing agreement in place with each partner which limits their use of your personal data to the processing of your order only. They are not allowed to use your personal details for any other purpose.
Links to other websites
All shop accounts remain active unless you ask us to delete them. We may not be able to delete your account if details are required to be kept for legal purposes, eg sales are part of our financial accounts, VAT and Gift Aid details have to be kept for HMRC. If this is the case, we will disable the account.
You can at any time update your personal details by logging in and editing your account details.
The shop has a newsletter facility, you can subscribe or unsubscribe at any time by again updating your account preferences.
This website uses a secure SSL certificate to provide a secure link between your device and our shop server, thereby protecting passwords and card payment details. For more details, click on the padlock icon in the address bar.
The shop also uses Captcha technology to stop robots from using the site.
Visits to this website are also recorded by Google Analytics in order to provide anonymous statistics to assist us in website capacity planning and to assist with decisions on which products to make available in the shop . The following lists some of the information recorded..
- Country/Town visiting (we need to add postal rates by Country so need to ensure all Countries are included)
- Number of visits and pages viewed (this indicates areas of interest which we may expand at a later date)
- How customers came to our site, ie via a Google search, referral from another site, other search engines, or direct
- Keywords used in search engines (this helps us to decide which product ranges we may expand in the future)
Note that none of the above Google Analytics data can be traced back to an individual Computer.