The Boat People of The Oxford Canal
The Parliamentary Acts of 1877 and 1884 brought in the registration of canal boats to ensure that only the registered number of people lived on them and that conditions on board each boat were maintained at a level considered fit for human occupation. These two Acts, and the many minor additions to them, are the reason for the Canal Boat Inspector's Books which are the subject of this book. The two books which comprise this transcription were created by George James Dew, Canal Boat Inspector at Lower Heyford, Oxfordshire. The first book, which commences in 1889, has been transcribed in its entirety whilst the second, although it continues to 1921, has only been transcribed up to 1900. Each book includes the number of the inspection, date of the inspection, name of the boat, registration number of the boat and place and date of registration, the name and address of the owner and the name and address of the master (or captain). The second volume also includes the number of persons (adults and children) the boat is registered to house, the number of males, females and children occupying the boat, together with information relating to the condition and cleanliness of the vessel.
Published by the Eureka Partnership.
The Boat People of the Oxford Canal
- Brand: The EurekA Partnership
- Product Code: ZEUR026
- Availability: 10